A hot cooked meal is available daily. All children in Early Years, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to a ‘Universal Free School Meal’. For all children in Years 3 and 4 the current charge is £2.20 per day (£11.00 per week). Dinner money should be brought in a purse or envelope, labelled with the child’s name, class and clearly stating number of meals required for the week ON MONDAYS. We do appreciate it if the exact money is sent, as this greatly reduces the administration involved. Cheques should be made payable to “SCC HARDWICK PRIMARY SCHOOL”.
As an alternative to a cooked meal, children may bring a packed lunch. Please send this in one, clearly labelled container. For obvious reasons, glass bottles or ring-pull tins cannot be allowed in school, nor are sweets.
We participate in the School Fruit and Vegetable Scheme, which provides a piece of fresh fruit or vegetable daily to our Key Stage 1 children, free of charge. Therefore, we do hope that parents will not allow themselves to be pressured into sending too many snacks for breaks. As part of our healthy eating policy and through school curriculum activities we encourage all pupils to bring healthy snacks e.g. fruit, seeds, nuts, cereal bars etc for school morning break. Crisps, chocolate bars etc are strongly discouraged. Sweets are not permitted. Pupils in KS2 can purchase a mid-morning snack from the school kitchen.
Payment may be made in cash, by cheque or online.
In cash / by cheque
• Money should be sent in a named envelope clearly marked ‘School Lunches’ and stating the child/children’s name/s, class and the amount enclosed. Books of 50 money envelopes are available from the office for only £1 and are ideal for this purpose. However, we welcome any type of envelope and are more than happy if you make use of envelopes sent to you in any junk mail or any that you have received which you can re-use by sellotaping to seal.
• If you wish to pay by cheque, please make these payable to ‘Hardwick Primary School’ and mark the reverse of the cheque with your child/children’s name/s and classes.
• If paying for more than one child and the amount is not being split equally, please state how much should be credited to each child.
- Please do not pay dinner money at the office, all payments should be sent in via your child in their class lunch money bag.
• If loose cash is handed in, there is always a risk that this may not get credited to the right child as cash can become completely anonymous if handed in to the office during the busy morning or after school periods.
• Please check envelopes are sealed well as some envelopes can have a considerable gap at the edges, particularly the self-seal type, and coins can be lost.
• Unfortunately, we are unable to give change, however excess funds paid will be credited to your child for future use.
• All lunches should be paid for in advance, not in arrears. Ideally payment should be made on a Monday for any lunches to be taken during that week.
We have also set the school up on a system which allows parents to be able to pay for their child/children’s school meals online. This is a secure system which provides you with confirmation of payments made and avoids the need to send cash in to school with children. The system is simple to use and details of how to use it are given below:
Go to www.eats-catering.co.uk and click on ‘Pay Online – Prepay for Primary/Middle School Meals’ and follow the instructions on screen.
Please note: Online payment must be for a minimum of 5 meals. It is not necessary for these to be consecutive days, e.g. could be for 5 Fridays or 2 days one week and 3 the following week. Dates do not need to be specified at all if you wish to just use this credit as and when required. However, payment must be made at least two days before the first meal is required. It is possible to pay for more than one child at this school (or at other schools as long as they also participate in the online payment scheme) in one payment, full instructions are provided on the screen.
A receipt for the payment is emailed to you or can be printed and details are forwarded to the school so that we can allocate the payment to your child/children for their lunches.
Free school meals allow your child to have a meal at school without charge. To qualify for free school meals for your child, you must be receiving one of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Application can be made at any time.
If you would like more information, please ask for a leaflet at the school office, or contact Customer Service Direct on telephone number 01473 260989 and ask to speak to someone about Free School Meals. You can also visit Suffolk County Council’s webpage – Apply for free school meals.